RSS Feed News
- Farms exceed Chapter 12 bankruptcy debt - Iowa Farmer Today April 28, 2017Farms exceed Chapter 12 bankruptcy debtIowa Farmer TodayJoseph Peiffer, who has practiced bankruptcy law in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, since 1985, said well more than half of the farmers coming into his office during the past two years did not qualify for a Chapter 12 bankruptcy because they had aggregate debts in ...
- Justice Department Says People in Marijuana Business Can't Use Bankruptcy - Fox Business April 28, 2017Justice Department Says People in Marijuana Business Can't Use BankruptcyFox BusinessU.S. Trustee Program director Cliff White wrote a letter to trustees who handle consumer bankruptcy cases earlier this week reminding them that the drug is illegal under federal law and warning them not to handle any money from the sale of marijuana ...
- State Violated Bankruptcy Discharge by Garnishing Wages ... - Bloomberg BNA April 28, 2017State Violated Bankruptcy Discharge by Garnishing Wages ...Bloomberg BNAThe Indiana Department of Workforce Development violated a debtor's bankruptcy discharge when it attempted to garnish wages for unemployment over ...and more »
- UAE Bankruptcy law improves investment climate - CPI Financial April 27, 2017UAE Bankruptcy law improves investment climateCPI FinancialThe UAE bankruptcy law is a boon for business, a UAE banking expert said today during a conference organised by the Emirates Institute for Banking and Financial Studies (EIBFS) in Dubai, according to media reports.
- Supreme Court Leaves GM Vulnerable To Pre-Bankruptcy Ignition Suits - Forbes April 24, 2017ForbesSupreme Court Leaves GM Vulnerable To Pre-Bankruptcy Ignition SuitsForbesThe entire GM bankruptcy departed substantially from well-settled bankruptcy law, however, and some say the Supreme Court's refusal to hear this case won't do any more damage. The Second Circuit's decision doesn't award any damages to ignition ...GM appeal of ignition switch ruling rejected by high courtKIRO SeattleSupreme […]
- Downward Trend Continues in Bankruptcy Filings | Bloomberg BNA - Bloomberg BNA April 24, 2017The Union LeaderDownward Trend Continues in Bankruptcy Filings | Bloomberg BNABloomberg BNABankruptcy filings continue to fall with figures again showing that the pace of the decline is slowing.Jack Falvey's Investor Education Briefs: Bankruptcy comes in many ...The Union Leaderall 4 news articles »
- The need for a bankruptcy law - Saudi Gazette April 22, 2017Saudi GazetteThe need for a bankruptcy lawSaudi GazetteMINISTER of Finance Mohammed Al-Jadaan's frank talk with the business community on the possibility of the private sector incurring losses and even facing bankruptcy as a result of the new economic austerity measures has many connotations.
- Navient Lawsuit Challenges Student Loan Bankruptcy Laws - Student Loan Hero (blog) April 10, 2017Student Loan Hero (blog)Navient Lawsuit Challenges Student Loan Bankruptcy LawsStudent Loan Hero (blog)Student loan servicing giant Navient is currently facing a class-action lawsuit from its borrowers. Due to mounting pressure from plaintiffs and legislators, the lender recently agreed to cease some of its aggressive collection tactics on the debt of a ...and more »
- When Arbitration Clauses Collide With Bankruptcy Laws - Law360 (subscription) April 7, 2017When Arbitration Clauses Collide With Bankruptcy LawsLaw360 (subscription)However, proceedings in which arbitration clauses have been enforced against a trustee include examinations pursuant to Bankruptcy Rule 2004, adversary proceedings asserting state law causes of action, and claim allowance proceedings. These ...
- Singapore Enacts New Corporate Bankruptcy Law to Promote ... - Lexology (registration) April 7, 2017Lexology (registration)Singapore Enacts New Corporate Bankruptcy Law to Promote ...Lexology (registration)On March 10, 2017, Singapore's Parliament approved the Companies (Amendment) Bill 2017 ("Act") to enhance the country's corporate debt restructuring ...and more »
- Immigration law becomes local issue for Brewster voters - Cape Cod Times (subscription) April 29, 2017Immigration law becomes local issue for Brewster votersCape Cod Times (subscription)BREWSTER — An article asking voters to oppose spending local money and resources to enforce federal immigration laws may generate debate between state Rep. Tim Whelan and town officials on town meeting floor Monday. The Brewster Board of ...
- Texas police chiefs: Do not burden local officers with federal immigration enforcement - Dallas News April 28, 2017Dallas NewsTexas police chiefs: Do not burden local officers with federal immigration enforcementDallas NewsNo one believes in the rule of law more than police officers. We work tirelessly to make our communities safer, within the confines of the constitution, by arresting those that commit criminal actions that threaten our communities. We target ...and more »
- Brazil: Congress Approves New Immigration Law | Bloomberg BNA - Bloomberg BNA April 27, 2017Brazil: Congress Approves New Immigration Law | Bloomberg BNABloomberg BNABrazil's congress has approved a new immigration law guaranteeing the same rights to foreign residents as to native-born Brazilians.and more »
- Texas Sheriffs Could Face Jail Time For Not Cooperating With Federal Immigration Law - Fox Business April 27, 2017Fox BusinessTexas Sheriffs Could Face Jail Time For Not Cooperating With Federal Immigration LawFox BusinessThe sanctuary city bill passed by the Texas House aligns with the President's crackdown on illegal immigration, and threatens to jail local law enforcement, including sheriffs and police chiefs, if they do not comply with federal immigration law. The ...Texas police […]
- NYC Targets Fake Immigration Lawyers With New Law - New York Law Journal (registration) April 27, 2017New York Law Journal (registration)NYC Targets Fake Immigration Lawyers With New LawNew York Law Journal (registration)The new law amends the city's regulations for service providers, such as by outlawing the advertisement of services such as guaranteeing to expedite immigration-related government benefits or other government action, as well as knowingly misleading ...
- What Trump Has Done on Immigration in First 100 Days - Daily Signal April 26, 2017PoliticoWhat Trump Has Done on Immigration in First 100 DaysDaily SignalPresident Donald Trump's dedication to enforcing immigration law is one of his significant accomplishments as he nears his 100th day in office Saturday, experts and lawmakers say. Trump is “taking the handcuffs off of [Immigration and Customs ...Trump's immigration crackdown is well underwayPoliticoFederal authorities narrow […]
- Trump wants local police to help enforce federal immigration laws - WCPO April 26, 2017WCPOTrump wants local police to help enforce federal immigration lawsWCPOJudge William H. Orrick ruled in favor of Santa Clara County, the City of San Francisco and other jurisdictions that argued the threat to withhold funding from cities that refuse to comply with federal authorities in enforcing immigration laws was ...Trump needs a better approach to […]
- Judge blocks part of Trump's sanctuary cities executive order - CNN April 25, 2017CNNJudge blocks part of Trump's sanctuary cities executive orderCNNThe Trump administration has made threats to punish sanctuary jurisdictions a key piece of Trump's immigration agenda. The whole debate seemingly hinges on an obscure piece of US law. Since there is little federal law requiring jurisdictions to ...Judge Blocking Sanctuary City Order Apparently Still Thinks He's […]
- What would it cost for Balto. Co. to enforce federal immigration law? - Baltimore Sun April 25, 2017Baltimore SunWhat would it cost for Balto. Co. to enforce federal immigration law?Baltimore SunBaltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz issued an executive order formalizing county police policy that officers will not "unlawfully profile" the immigration status of residents in order to initiate enforcement of immigration proceedings. (Kenneth K.
- Tarokic Tackles Immigration Law - Greater Wilmington Business Journal April 21, 2017Greater Wilmington Business JournalTarokic Tackles Immigration LawGreater Wilmington Business JournalIf you don't have an option, find out if your spouse or child does because every case is different,'” Tarokic said recently during an interview in her law firm at the Offices at Mayfaire. “I think that the people-are-just-afraid theme concerns me ...
- Spokane's hot real estate market: Five things to know - The Spokesman-Review April 29, 2017The Spokesman-ReviewSpokane's hot real estate market: Five things to knowThe Spokesman-ReviewSellers are getting multiple bids on attractively priced properties and offers that come with price escalation clauses – things that haven't been common in the local real estate market since before the Great Recession. The prospect of rising interest ...
- The week in real estate industry deals: April 24-28, 2017 - Inman.com April 29, 2017The week in real estate industry deals: April 24-28, 2017Inman.comWhile real estate agents chase leads and close deals on houses, there's another level of deal-making that takes place within the real estate industry: mergers, acquisitions, integrations and partnerships. We'll be recapping every week's noteworthy ...and more »
- Southwest Florida real estate briefs - Naples Daily News April 29, 2017Naples Daily NewsSouthwest Florida real estate briefsNaples Daily NewsThe Breakfast Series kicks off Tuesday, May 9 with John Burns Real Estate Consulting research analyst Lesley Deutch presenting Demographic Strategies for Southwest Florida's Housing Market at Olde Cypress Country Club, 7165 Treeline Drive, Naples.and more »
- 5 hidden landmines in commercial real estate deals - OCRegister April 29, 2017OCRegister5 hidden landmines in commercial real estate dealsOCRegisterJust like the explosive landmines that lurk beneath the surface, similar “bombs” can derail a commercial real estate deal. Although bodily injury may be avoided, the fallout created is nonetheless painful. It's important to recognize where these ...
- The real estate market is hot. Does that necessarily mean you should buy? - Philly.com April 29, 2017Philly.comThe real estate market is hot. Does that necessarily mean you should buy?Philly.comReal estate entrepreneur Teo Nicolais says a combination of increased vacancies, declining occupancy, and rising interest rates can indicate a potential crash. Today, we're not there yet. Instead, McCann said, shoppers should buy now if they plan to ...
- Success Real Estate School Opens Branch On Gunbarrel Road - The Chattanoogan April 29, 2017Success Real Estate School Opens Branch On Gunbarrel RoadThe Chattanoogan“Business is good,” said Von Richcreek, general manager of Success Real Estate School, who is overseeing operations and marketing initiatives in four states, while also maintaining his role as director of its Nashville school. “We anticipate our ...and more »
- President Trump, protecting South Korea is not a real estate deal - CNN April 28, 2017CNNPresident Trump, protecting South Korea is not a real estate dealCNNAnd the President does a disservice to his national security team -- not to mention our alliance -- when he speaks about something as miserly and mean as reimbursement. This isn't some real estate deal. It's a nation-state deal, a national security ...Exclusive: Trump says […]
- Chip Gaines' former real-estate partners sue him for over $1 million - USA TODAY April 28, 2017USA TODAYChip Gaines' former real-estate partners sue him for over $1 millionUSA TODAYChip Gaines, who hosts Fixer Upper along with wife Joanna, is being accused of conspiring to cheat his ex-partners — and now ex-friends — in his Texas real-estate company by buying out their stakes for peanuts two days before announcing the show that ...'Fixer […]
- Real Estate Investment Trusts Are The New Money Market Funds - Forbes April 28, 2017ForbesReal Estate Investment Trusts Are The New Money Market FundsForbesIt used to be that you could put $1 million into an insured savings account and earn interest of about $50,000 a year. Today, the same $1 million would generate between $100 to $500 a year. For years now, real-estate investment trusts (REITs) have paid ...
- LiquidSpace's Mark Gilbreath on the Future of Real Estate Inventory and Tech - Forbes April 28, 2017ForbesLiquidSpace's Mark Gilbreath on the Future of Real Estate Inventory and TechForbes“We, the broader community of commercial real estate tech companies, ought to be reaching for the big transformative things.” It's clear that Mark Gilbreath, founder and CEO of LiquidSpace, has a big vision for the future of real estate. But unlike ...
2016 H1B Visa and Green Card Reports Released!
March 14, 2016
Myvisajobs.com, the leading employment website for immigrants, has released its eleventh Annual H1B Visa and Employment-based Green Card reports. 2016 Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsor 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Status: Certified, Denied or Withdrawn 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Job Title 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work State 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work […]
Dirty hospital scopes caused deadly infections, investigation finds
January 13, 2016
At least 250 people, mostly in the U.S. including Seattle, have contracted potentially deadly infections spread by contaminated medical scopes in the past three years, according to a new report headed by Sen. Patty Murray of Washington. The incidencts related to antibiotic-resistant infections linked to specialized duodenoscopes nearly doubled since 2010. The figures include the superbug outbreak […]
Representing Immigrant Workers in Personal Injury Claims
November 24, 2015
Charles J. Schleifer and James C. Haggerty, The Legal Intelligencer, Nov 25, 2015. According to recent statistics, there are between 6.4 and 8 million people who entered the country illegally and are a part of the U.S. labor force. The type of work performed by these workers is often very dangerous—they commonly work in the […]
Millions More to Qualify for Student – Loan Modification Program
November 6, 2015
Under rules effective Tuesday, any American who borrowed directly from the federal government for college or graduate school can enroll in a program called Pay As You Earn. The program—previously open to only newer borrowers—sets the monthly payment at 10% of a borrower’s discretionary income, defined as adjusted gross income minus 150% of the federal […]
Many homeowners owe more than their houses are worth in the Seattle area
October 6, 2015
September’s median price for single-family homes dipped from August, a welcome change for potential buyers but not for the many homeowners whose mortgage debt remains greater than their home’s value.
Modified Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Loans Perform Better When Done Through HAMP
October 1, 2015
Single-family mortgage loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac perform better after modification when they are modified through the government's Home Affordable Mortgage Program (HAMP), according to the FHFA's Foreclosure Prevention Report for Q2 2015 released this week.
GAO Calls for Better Assessment of Fraud Risks, Economic Benefits From EB-5 Program
August 28, 2015
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) recently released a report that calls for additional actions to better assess fraud risks and report economic benefits in the EB-5 program. The GAO noted that fraud risks are constantly evolving and that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) continually identifies new fraud schemes, but the agency does not […]
HOPE NOW: Mortgage Industry Achieves 24 Million Non-Foreclosure Solutions & 6 Million Proprietary Loan Mods
August 28, 2015
In the second quarter of 2015, approximately 411,000 homeowners received non-foreclosure solutions from mortgage servicers, according to HOPE NOW, the voluntary, private sector alliance of mortgage servicers, investors, mortgage insurers and non-profit counselors. Permanent loan modifications in the second quarter of 2015 totaled approximately 113,000 and short sales totaled 24,000. Other non-foreclosure solutions (including repayment […]
Using personal bankruptcy to hit the reset button on distressed properties
August 28, 2015
There is a ripple effect on homeowners who struggle with debt even after losing their homes. Honest people who want to make good on their debts are increasingly overwhelmed and finding it impossible to rebuild their financial lives. When the Dennis Hebel and his wife decided to help out their son by buying a second […]