RSS Feed News
- SMP Ltd. v. SunEdison, Inc. - New York Law Journal October 19, 2017New York Law JournalSMP Ltd. v. SunEdison, Inc.New York Law JournalUnder a 2011 agreement (SLA) SunEdison Inc.—a U.S. debtor—licensed intellectual property to SMP Ltd., a debtor under South Korean bankruptcy law, in connection with the construction of a facility to make poly silicon, used to make solar wafers for ...and more »
- GOP zoning in on Guzman's bankruptcies in 31st District race - Inside NoVA October 19, 2017Inside NoVAGOP zoning in on Guzman's bankruptcies in 31st District raceInside NoVAJohn O'Brien, a Chicago attorney with a background in bankruptcy law, also believes that there “certainly is support for her contention that the housing bubble” drove her financial woes. O'Brien explains that a Chapter 13 filing is designed to halt ...and more »
- Streaming service VidAngel declares bankruptcy after losing legal battles with studios - TechCrunch October 19, 2017TechCrunchStreaming service VidAngel declares bankruptcy after losing legal battles with studiosTechCrunchVidAngel, a streaming service that altered copyrighted works to edit out adult language, nudity and violence, has declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the company announced on Wednesday. The Utah-based service had been sued by major studios, including ...Movie-Filtering Service Files for Bankruptcy to Pause Copyright FightChristianityToday.comall 6 […]
- Greek church treasurer who stole $415K has filed for bankruptcy - Knoxville News Sentinel October 19, 2017Knoxville News SentinelGreek church treasurer who stole $415K has filed for bankruptcyKnoxville News SentinelConstantine D. Christodoulou has filed for bankruptcy protection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Knoxville. In it, he says doesn't own a home, takes in $2,000 each month and doles out $1,917 from that pay. He says he owes $618,702 debts – $224,675 […]
- Arcapita Bank: The Bankruptcy Court Closes an Escape Valve for Foreign Defendants - The National Law Review October 17, 2017Arcapita Bank: The Bankruptcy Court Closes an Escape Valve for Foreign DefendantsThe National Law ReviewLast Friday, October 13, Judge Sean H. Lane of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York issued an opinion addressing the presumption against extraterritoriality of US law as well as the limits of the doctrine of […]
- Make bankruptcy law accountable, not time-bound: Kroll - Economic Times October 17, 2017Economic TimesMake bankruptcy law accountable, not time-bound: KrollEconomic TimesMUMBAI: The tight deadlines to resolve issues of distressed companies under the new law of bankruptcy is likely to sideline the issue of criminal culpability of founders and stakeholders in fraud, US-based risk consulting firm Kroll has cautioned.
- New approach to sovereign debt restructuring needed, bankruptcy law expert says - MarketWatch October 12, 2017MarketWatchNew approach to sovereign debt restructuring needed, bankruptcy law expert saysMarketWatchBusiness law expert Steven Schwarcz, left, and moderator Kate Zeller, right, participate in a panel on debt restructuring at the 2017 International Monetary Fund conference. WASHINGTON — Current approaches to restructuring nations' sovereign debt are ...
- Bankruptcy Isn't for Everyone. Maybe It Should Be. - Bloomberg - Bloomberg October 10, 2017BloombergBankruptcy Isn't for Everyone. Maybe It Should Be. - BloombergBloombergPeople and companies can start fresh. Why not states and nations?and more »
- Seadrill Stock Traders Are Ignoring Bankruptcy Case Law - Seeking Alpha September 25, 2017Seadrill Stock Traders Are Ignoring Bankruptcy Case LawSeeking AlphaThere seems to be a disconnect between the price investors are currently paying for Seadrill, Inc. (NYSE:SDRL) stock and bankruptcy law. Because of the Bankruptcy Code and case law, shareholders may get nothing when the final reorganization plan ...
- Saudi Arabia to implement bankruptcy law in early 2018: Al Arabiya - Reuters September 22, 2017ReutersSaudi Arabia to implement bankruptcy law in early 2018: Al ArabiyaReutersDUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia will begin implementing a new bankruptcy law early next year as part of efforts to attract foreign investment and encourage private sector activity, Saudi-owned broadcaster Al Arabiya reported citing the kingdom's ...Saudi Arabia gets a new bankruptcy lawInternational Adviserall 2 […]
- Trump's fast-tracked deportations may be only solution to backlog - The Hill October 19, 2017The HillTrump's fast-tracked deportations may be only solution to backlogThe HillThe backlog cannot be eliminated just by hiring more judges. Lawyers with immigration law experience who want to be a judge are not easy to find, and EOIR should resolve the problems it is having with the judges it already has before hiring new ones.
- Conditional sentences don't count as jail time in immigration law: Supreme Court - rdnewsnow.com October 19, 2017The Lawyer's DailyConditional sentences don't count as jail time in immigration law: Supreme Courtrdnewsnow.comThe government began a process to revoke his permanent residency under a section of immigration law that renders a person inadmissible to Canada if they're convicted of a crime with a maximum 10 year penalty or given a term of imprisonment for […]
- California, the sanctuary state, will reap the whirlwind - Washington Examiner October 19, 2017LifeZetteCalifornia, the sanctuary state, will reap the whirlwindWashington ExaminerIt was once used to describe a sensible law enforcement strategy, by which otherwise law-abiding illegal immigrants who report crimes or cooperate with the police are not asked about their immigration status, lest they hesitate to help authorities in ...ICE Chief: Shame on Those Who Criticize Us […]
- Local law enforcement on sanctuary church: Immigration is not our jobs - The Coloradoan October 18, 2017The ColoradoanLocal law enforcement on sanctuary church: Immigration is not our jobsThe ColoradoanIngrid Encalada Latorre, the Peruvian immigrant who is is seeking sanctuary at a Fort Collins church, doesn't have to fear targeting by local law enforcement. The simplest reason why: It's not the jobs of the Larimer County Sheriff's Office or Fort ...and more »
- Trump, Sessions attack immigration lawyers in latest affront to rule of ... - The Hill October 18, 2017The HillTrump, Sessions attack immigration lawyers in latest affront to rule of ...The Hill"If anyone's hands are dirty here, it isn't the lawyers who are doing their best to allow their clients what is due them under our laws: a fair hearing."Immigration is not a local law enforcement duty | DiverseCity ...Colorado Springs Independentall 3 […]
- New Trump immigration order blocked - Constitution Daily (blog) October 17, 2017Constitution Daily (blog)New Trump immigration order blockedConstitution Daily (blog)The judge also found that the restrictions “plainly discriminate on the basis of nationality,” which immigration law also forbids. Although the latest Trump order was applied to eight countries, the state of Hawaii and other challengers had sued to ...Federal judges in Hawaii and Maryland block Trump's […]
- Pasco Sheriff makes agreement with ICE to enforce Federal ... - ABC Action News October 16, 2017ABC Action NewsPasco Sheriff makes agreement with ICE to enforce Federal ...ABC Action NewsPasco deputies will begin to enforce a section of federal law that allows deputies to hold immigration suspects until ICE agents can take custody of them.and more »
- AG Finds Phoenix Police Not Violating State Immigration Law ... - U.S. News & World Report October 16, 2017AG Finds Phoenix Police Not Violating State Immigration Law ...U.S. News & World ReportThe Arizona attorney general on Monday found that the Phoenix Police Department was not violating a state law that requires officers to inquire about the legal ...and more »
- White Supremacist Group Hangs Anti-'Dreamer' Banner Outside DC Immigration Law Office - NBC4 Washington October 16, 2017White Supremacist Group Hangs Anti-'Dreamer' Banner Outside DC Immigration Law OfficeNBC4 WashingtonTwo members of a white supremacist group hung a banner decrying the "Dreamer" movement outside the American Immigration Lawyers Association office in Washington, D.C., Saturday. Surveillance video shows two men hanging a large banner outside the ...
- DOJ says Conn. compliant with immigration laws - CT Post October 12, 2017Washington ExaminerDOJ says Conn. compliant with immigration lawsCT PostWASHINGTON — The Trump administration on Thursday let Connecticut off the hook in the ongoing sanctuary-city battle, saying the state is in fact cooperating with federal law enforcement on criminal suspects and convicts who are undocumented.Justice Department gives sanctuary cities 'last chance' to prove immigration law complianceWashington […]
- Aston Martin is getting into... luxury real estate?! - CNNMoney October 19, 2017CNNMoneyAston Martin is getting into... luxury real estate?!CNNMoneyThe companies broke ground on the new Aston Martin Residences on Wednesday, and expect the building will be finished in 2021. A move into luxury real estate may seem unusual for an automaker that's built a global brand based on its high performance ...and more »
- Realtor website cool on Connecticut real estate - CT Post October 19, 2017CT PostRealtor website cool on Connecticut real estateCT PostDiners in 2010 at the Chef Point Café in Watauga, Texas, listed by Realtor.com in October 2017 as home to the hottest ZIP code in the country based on website searches and related home sales. Credit: Joan Shattuck less. Diners in 2010 at the Chef Point ...Greater Cincinnati […]
- This Stock's Drop Sounds Alarm for Turkey's Real Estate Sector - Bloomberg October 19, 2017BloombergThis Stock's Drop Sounds Alarm for Turkey's Real Estate SectorBloombergTurkey, which recently ended its run as the world's hottest real estate market according to global real estate consultant Knight Frank, saw home prices rise less than 12 percent in July over the previous year, the slowest pace of increase since ...and more »
- 30 Years After Black Monday, A Look At Its Effects on Real Estate - Mansion Global October 19, 2017Mansion Global30 Years After Black Monday, A Look At Its Effects on Real EstateMansion GlobalIn the midst of a brash housing boom in the 1980s, real estate agent Donna Olshan started her eponymous Manhattan brokerage. But the stock market crash on Oct. 19, 1987, turned her office overnight into a “halfway house for people who […]
- Pair with Tucson ties sentenced to prison in real estate scheme ... - Arizona Daily Star October 19, 2017Pair with Tucson ties sentenced to prison in real estate scheme ...Arizona Daily StarA Tucson lawyer was sentenced Tuesday to nearly 7 years in prison for his role in two multimillion-dollar real estate fraud schemes in San Diego and Tucson, ...and more »
- It's official: Sale of Toyota's Torrance campus goes to Irvine real estate developer - The Daily Breeze October 19, 2017The Daily BreezeIt's official: Sale of Toyota's Torrance campus goes to Irvine real estate developerThe Daily BreezeThe much-anticipated sale of Toyota's sprawling Torrance campus has officially closed, turning over the keys to Irvine-based Sares-Regis Group, which anticipates redeveloping the entire 110-acre site. No purchase price was disclosed for the sale, which ...and more »
- Exclusive Videos - Inman.com October 19, 2017Exclusive VideosInman.comIs the Dominos tracking app better than any real estate tracking app out there? Believe it or not, the answer to that questions used to be "yes". Fortunately, Shane Farkas of The Agency and Jess Martin of First.io took the Inman Stage to explain how ...
- 2 Birmingham real estate agents launch Urban Realty - AL.com October 18, 2017AL.com2 Birmingham real estate agents launch Urban RealtyAL.comCommercial real estate agent Ali Wilburn and residential agent Emily Stewart recently launched Urban Realty, a boutique real estate company in Birmingham. "With a focus on purposeful communities, Urban Realty merges the evolving needs of residents with ...
- 'The housing market can't take the shock of a natural event,' real estate economist warns - CNBC October 18, 2017CNBC'The housing market can't take the shock of a natural event,' real estate economist warnsCNBCAt least 10,000 homes and other structures have been destroyed by floods, winds and fires in the past three months. Given the acute construction labor shortage, reconstruction and its repercussions in residential real estate could be yet another disaster.
- Top Global Cities Face Increased Risk Of A Real Estate Bubble : NPR - NPR October 17, 2017NPRTop Global Cities Face Increased Risk Of A Real Estate Bubble : NPRNPRThe risk of a real estate bubble in top global cities has increased significantly in the past five years, according to an annual report by UBS Wealth Management.and more »
2016 H1B Visa and Green Card Reports Released!
March 14, 2016
Myvisajobs.com, the leading employment website for immigrants, has released its eleventh Annual H1B Visa and Employment-based Green Card reports. 2016 Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsor 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Status: Certified, Denied or Withdrawn 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Job Title 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work State 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work […]
Dirty hospital scopes caused deadly infections, investigation finds
January 13, 2016
At least 250 people, mostly in the U.S. including Seattle, have contracted potentially deadly infections spread by contaminated medical scopes in the past three years, according to a new report headed by Sen. Patty Murray of Washington. The incidencts related to antibiotic-resistant infections linked to specialized duodenoscopes nearly doubled since 2010. The figures include the superbug outbreak […]
Representing Immigrant Workers in Personal Injury Claims
November 24, 2015
Charles J. Schleifer and James C. Haggerty, The Legal Intelligencer, Nov 25, 2015. According to recent statistics, there are between 6.4 and 8 million people who entered the country illegally and are a part of the U.S. labor force. The type of work performed by these workers is often very dangerous—they commonly work in the […]
Millions More to Qualify for Student – Loan Modification Program
November 6, 2015
Under rules effective Tuesday, any American who borrowed directly from the federal government for college or graduate school can enroll in a program called Pay As You Earn. The program—previously open to only newer borrowers—sets the monthly payment at 10% of a borrower’s discretionary income, defined as adjusted gross income minus 150% of the federal […]
Many homeowners owe more than their houses are worth in the Seattle area
October 6, 2015
September’s median price for single-family homes dipped from August, a welcome change for potential buyers but not for the many homeowners whose mortgage debt remains greater than their home’s value.
Modified Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Loans Perform Better When Done Through HAMP
October 1, 2015
Single-family mortgage loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac perform better after modification when they are modified through the government's Home Affordable Mortgage Program (HAMP), according to the FHFA's Foreclosure Prevention Report for Q2 2015 released this week.
GAO Calls for Better Assessment of Fraud Risks, Economic Benefits From EB-5 Program
August 28, 2015
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) recently released a report that calls for additional actions to better assess fraud risks and report economic benefits in the EB-5 program. The GAO noted that fraud risks are constantly evolving and that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) continually identifies new fraud schemes, but the agency does not […]
HOPE NOW: Mortgage Industry Achieves 24 Million Non-Foreclosure Solutions & 6 Million Proprietary Loan Mods
August 28, 2015
In the second quarter of 2015, approximately 411,000 homeowners received non-foreclosure solutions from mortgage servicers, according to HOPE NOW, the voluntary, private sector alliance of mortgage servicers, investors, mortgage insurers and non-profit counselors. Permanent loan modifications in the second quarter of 2015 totaled approximately 113,000 and short sales totaled 24,000. Other non-foreclosure solutions (including repayment […]
Using personal bankruptcy to hit the reset button on distressed properties
August 28, 2015
There is a ripple effect on homeowners who struggle with debt even after losing their homes. Honest people who want to make good on their debts are increasingly overwhelmed and finding it impossible to rebuild their financial lives. When the Dennis Hebel and his wife decided to help out their son by buying a second […]