RSS Feed News
- Oil company sues over Alaska's beleaguered cash-for-credits program - KTOO August 19, 2017KTOOOil company sues over Alaska's beleaguered cash-for-credits programKTOOTo understand the bankruptcy law the state and the companies are quibbling over requires a jump back to 2015, when Geisler was the CEO of a company called Miller Energy Resources. Miller Energy Resources was a publicly traded parent company to two ...
- Sanction Upheld For Trader Who Hid Millions In Bankruptcy - Law360 (subscription) August 18, 2017Sanction Upheld For Trader Who Hid Millions In BankruptcyLaw360 (subscription)Law360, New York (August 18, 2017, 6:48 PM EDT) -- A New York federal judge has upheld a bankruptcy court's $500,000 sanction against a former top Wall Street trader, saying the court correctly found he had concealed more than $3 million in assets ...and more »
- Newsmaker: Publication honors 19 Crowe & Dunlevy lawyers - Tulsa World August 18, 2017Newsmaker: Publication honors 19 Crowe & Dunlevy lawyersTulsa World... include Kayci Hugues, litigation-bankruptcy; Susan Huntsman, Native American law; Gerald Jackson, commercial litigation; D. Michael McBride III, gaming law, Native American law; Gary McSpadden, banking and finance law, commercial transactions/UCC ...30 Greenberg Traurig Texas Attorneys Listed in 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in AmericaPR Web (press release)all […]
- Elliott Management moves to block Berkshire Hathaway's bid to acquire Oncor - Omaha World-Herald August 18, 2017Omaha World-HeraldElliott Management moves to block Berkshire Hathaway's bid to acquire OncorOmaha World-HeraldBankruptcy law and past court rulings hold that to win approval, a reorganization plan must have agreement from at least one creditor that stands to lose money in the plan. Elliott owned one of the two “impaired” debts but recently acquired the second […]
- UWO Foundation to file for reorganization petition under Chapter 11 federal bankruptcy law - Advance Titan August 17, 2017WMTVUWO Foundation to file for reorganization petition under Chapter 11 federal bankruptcy lawAdvance TitanThe University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Foundation is set to file a reorganization petition under Chapter 11 of federal bankruptcy laws, according to a press release. A “policy flip-flop” and “ill-advised political gamesmanship” by the Board of Regents of ...UW-Oshkosh to file for […]
- Not just banks and firms, even home buyers can claim their money under new bankruptcy law - Economic Times August 17, 2017Economic TimesNot just banks and firms, even home buyers can claim their money under new bankruptcy lawEconomic Times"Those who are aggrieved can get remedy under this law (IBC). If there is any such move, the government's full sympathy is with those who have paid money and have rights on the flats," the minister had said […]
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly names Cook among leading 'Women in the Law' - Midland Daily News August 17, 2017Michigan Lawyers Weekly names Cook among leading 'Women in the Law'Midland Daily NewsSue has always mentored associates during her career by teaching them not only the intricacies of bankruptcy law, but also instilling in them the qualities of creativity, advocacy and integrity that she demonstrates. While the sophistication of her ...
- Burlco contractor seeks bankruptcy protection - Cherry Hill Courier Post August 14, 2017Cherry Hill Courier PostBurlco contractor seeks bankruptcy protectionCherry Hill Courier PostCAMDEN - A long-established Burlington County contractor has filed for protection under federal bankruptcy law. Robert T. Winzinger Inc., which was founded in 1958, will seek to reorganize its finances under a Chapter 11 filing. A representative of the ...
- Fifth Circuit Examines Intersection Of IRA Withdrawals And Bankruptcy Exemptions - Forbes July 27, 2017ForbesFifth Circuit Examines Intersection Of IRA Withdrawals And Bankruptcy ExemptionsForbesWhen a bankruptcy case is filed, a bankruptcy estate is created, which is comprised ordinarily of all property owned by the debtor. As with most things in the law, exceptions apply. Here, among other things, 11 U.S.C. § 522 exempted certain property ...
- The New UAE Bankruptcy Law - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United ... - Mondaq News Alerts (registration) July 26, 2017The New UAE Bankruptcy Law - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United ...Mondaq News Alerts (registration)The new Bankruptcy Law of the UAE was enacted on September 20, 2016 as Decree-Law No. 9 of 2016. It was published in the Federal Official Gazette on ...and more »
- Pardon of Joe Arpaio would refute crux of immigration debate - WTOP August 19, 2017WTOPPardon of Joe Arpaio would refute crux of immigration debateWTOPPHOENIX (AP) — Arizona politicians have invoked the “rule of law” for more than a decade as the guiding principle in pushing for tougher immigration laws, arguing that no one — no matter who you are — is above the law. The rallying cry has become […]
- Immigration fight could end a young career - The Commercial Appeal August 18, 2017The Commercial AppealImmigration fight could end a young careerThe Commercial Appeal"Phasing out DACA is about the rule of law, not the wisdom of any particular immigration policy," Texas attorney general Ken Paxton wrote in a Fox News commentary this month. He also complained about DACA recipients receiving state benefits such as ...Immigrant 'Dreamers' rally against changing […]
- Rauner facing pressure from Downstate Republicans to veto 'very reasonable' immigration bill - Chicago Tribune August 18, 2017Chicago TribuneRauner facing pressure from Downstate Republicans to veto 'very reasonable' immigration billChicago Tribune"I think it seems very reasonable," Rauner said of the legislation, which would prohibit state and local police in Illinois from arresting or detaining a person solely because of their immigration status, or based on a federal immigration detainer. The ...Gov. Rauner […]
- EDITORIAL: Proposed immigration law would make matters worse - Goshen News August 18, 2017Glens Falls Post-StarEDITORIAL: Proposed immigration law would make matters worseGoshen NewsTom Cotton of Alabama and David Perdue of Georgia recently introduced the Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy, or RAISE, Act. The legislation, which has the endorsement of the Trump administration, would reduce legal immigration by ...GUEST EDITORIAL: Proposed immigration law would make things worseGlens […]
- North Texas police officers try to ease fear among immigrants over Senate Bill 4 - Dallas News August 17, 2017Dallas NewsNorth Texas police officers try to ease fear among immigrants over Senate Bill 4Dallas NewsNorth Texas police leaders are trying to ease fear among immigrant communities over a tough new immigration law scheduled to take effect Sept. 1. The controversial law is billed as a way to combat “sanctuary cities” that don't cooperate with […]
- Using the Islands to Get Around US Immigration Laws - Immigration Blog (blog) August 17, 2017Immigration Blog (blog)Using the Islands to Get Around US Immigration LawsImmigration Blog (blog)There are 10,000 of them granted annually, world-wide, and given the elements of the immigration law intended to promote diversity in the flow, there are provisions against too many people entering from the same country (any country) on any given visa.
- Undocumented Immigrants May Get Less Time to Make Their Case - TIME August 16, 2017Undocumented Immigrants May Get Less Time to Make Their CaseTIMEJeffrey Widdison, Jeronimo's defense attorney at McKinney Immigration Law, had just 39 days to prepare for the hearing. So he made a common request, asking the judge for what's known as a continuance—a routine delay in the court proceedings. It slows ...
- More employers may be using temps to skirt immigration laws - AOL ... - AOL August 16, 2017AOLMore employers may be using temps to skirt immigration laws - AOL ...AOLFrom Alabama poultry plants to Utah hotels, employers figure they can evade scrutiny if they're not conducting unsavory hiring practices themselves.and more »
- Can 10-year-olds understand the complexities of immigration law? - The Week Magazine August 12, 2017The Week MagazineCan 10-year-olds understand the complexities of immigration law?The Week MagazineSpecifically, I need to bring it to life for fifth-graders who have already heard from a dozen other parents on Career Day in May — including an actual rocket scientist. I am an immigration lawyer and professor. The room is warm, and the kids […]
- States Have Already Passed Almost Twice as Many Immigration ... - New York Times August 7, 2017New York TimesStates Have Already Passed Almost Twice as Many Immigration ...New York TimesIssues included sanctuary cities, identification rules, benefits and civics lessons in the schools.and more »
- Florida man sentenced for role in Las Vegas real estate scam - KTNV Las Vegas August 19, 2017KTNV Las VegasFlorida man sentenced for role in Las Vegas real estate scamKTNV Las VegasLeal and co-defendant Jessica Garcia operated a real estate enterprise doing business as either “Parcelnomics, LLC” or “Investment Deals,” and through that enterprise, sold properties to numerous victims, according to the AG's Office. Leal, directly ...
- Busy: Residential real estate recovery booms/Inventory low, prices are on rebound - Conway Daily Sun August 19, 2017Conway Daily SunBusy: Residential real estate recovery booms/Inventory low, prices are on reboundConway Daily SunSpeaking of multiple offers, David Haine of David Haine Real Estate of Conway noted, "I've probably had 15 of them," which he said is "good when you're representing the seller, but not so much when you're representing the potential buyer who […]
- How to nail the real estate post-close follow-up process - Inman.com August 18, 2017How to nail the real estate post-close follow-up processInman.comYou found your buyers the perfect house and helped them write a winning offer. You held their hand through the inspection and appraisal and getting that earnest money check from point A to point B; you were there when they signed their names a hundred ...
- Christie Brinkley to sell $50 million worth of Hamptons real estate - CNBC August 18, 2017CNBCChristie Brinkley to sell $50 million worth of Hamptons real estateCNBCThe three-story colonial mansion was built in 1843 by a whaling captain. It still features much of its original carpentry, including the wide-plank floors, oak banister and multiple fireplaces. Brinkley purchased the four-bedroom residence in 2004 and ...
- Chinese Pullback Won't Dent Real Estate Prices, Brookfield Says - National Real Estate Investor August 18, 2017National Real Estate InvestorChinese Pullback Won't Dent Real Estate Prices, Brookfield SaysNational Real Estate InvestorThere is enough capital pouring into real estate from multiple regions -- including Europe and the Middle East -- to counter any potential slowdown in Chinese investment, Brookfield Property Chief Executive Officer Brian Kingston said in a Bloomberg ...and more »
- China to limit overseas investments in real estate, sports - CNBC.com - CNBC August 18, 2017CNBCChina to limit overseas investments in real estate, sports - CNBC.comCNBCChina's government has released a document limiting overseas investment partly due to debt concerns.China to limit overseas investments in real estate, sportsThe Seattle TimesChina to limit overseas investments in real estate, sports clubsXinhuaall 11 news articles »
- The 1960s Real Estate Mirage of Christmas Valley - Atlas Obscura August 18, 2017Atlas ObscuraThe 1960s Real Estate Mirage of Christmas ValleyAtlas ObscuraIn 1959, Time reported that California real estate developer M. Penn Phillips claimed to have sold more parcels of land than any man alive. Two years later, though, his development flops led to the suspension of his business license in the state and ...
- Lebanon County real estate transactions - Lebanon Daily News August 18, 2017Lebanon Daily NewsLebanon County real estate transactionsLebanon Daily NewsElizabeth C. Stine to Jarelis S. Verges, Domingo S. Negron, Zuleyka M. Verges, 531 Park Drive, $165,000. Fannie Mae aka Federal National Mortgage Association to Michael J. Tomecek 722 Elm St., $74,500. South Mountain Real Estate Investments to Holly ...
- To Source Real Estate Deals And Generate More Wealth, Start A Monthly Meetup - Forbes August 18, 2017ForbesTo Source Real Estate Deals And Generate More Wealth, Start A Monthly MeetupForbesHaving interviewed over a thousand business and real estate entrepreneurs on my podcast, one of the most valuable pieces of advice I've gotten is how to start an in-person meetup group. From a business development standpoint, the educational benefits, ...
- DC has essentially lost track of the real estate it owns, new report finds - Washington Post August 17, 2017Washington PostDC has essentially lost track of the real estate it owns, new report findsWashington PostThe agency that manages the District government's property has failed to collect millions of dollars in rent and struck a financially questionable deal with a private real estate broker to lease space that might not be needed, according to a […]
2016 H1B Visa and Green Card Reports Released!
March 14, 2016
Myvisajobs.com, the leading employment website for immigrants, has released its eleventh Annual H1B Visa and Employment-based Green Card reports. 2016 Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsor 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Status: Certified, Denied or Withdrawn 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Job Title 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work State 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work […]
Dirty hospital scopes caused deadly infections, investigation finds
January 13, 2016
At least 250 people, mostly in the U.S. including Seattle, have contracted potentially deadly infections spread by contaminated medical scopes in the past three years, according to a new report headed by Sen. Patty Murray of Washington. The incidencts related to antibiotic-resistant infections linked to specialized duodenoscopes nearly doubled since 2010. The figures include the superbug outbreak […]
Representing Immigrant Workers in Personal Injury Claims
November 24, 2015
Charles J. Schleifer and James C. Haggerty, The Legal Intelligencer, Nov 25, 2015. According to recent statistics, there are between 6.4 and 8 million people who entered the country illegally and are a part of the U.S. labor force. The type of work performed by these workers is often very dangerous—they commonly work in the […]
Millions More to Qualify for Student – Loan Modification Program
November 6, 2015
Under rules effective Tuesday, any American who borrowed directly from the federal government for college or graduate school can enroll in a program called Pay As You Earn. The program—previously open to only newer borrowers—sets the monthly payment at 10% of a borrower’s discretionary income, defined as adjusted gross income minus 150% of the federal […]
Many homeowners owe more than their houses are worth in the Seattle area
October 6, 2015
September’s median price for single-family homes dipped from August, a welcome change for potential buyers but not for the many homeowners whose mortgage debt remains greater than their home’s value.
Modified Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Loans Perform Better When Done Through HAMP
October 1, 2015
Single-family mortgage loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac perform better after modification when they are modified through the government's Home Affordable Mortgage Program (HAMP), according to the FHFA's Foreclosure Prevention Report for Q2 2015 released this week.
GAO Calls for Better Assessment of Fraud Risks, Economic Benefits From EB-5 Program
August 28, 2015
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) recently released a report that calls for additional actions to better assess fraud risks and report economic benefits in the EB-5 program. The GAO noted that fraud risks are constantly evolving and that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) continually identifies new fraud schemes, but the agency does not […]
HOPE NOW: Mortgage Industry Achieves 24 Million Non-Foreclosure Solutions & 6 Million Proprietary Loan Mods
August 28, 2015
In the second quarter of 2015, approximately 411,000 homeowners received non-foreclosure solutions from mortgage servicers, according to HOPE NOW, the voluntary, private sector alliance of mortgage servicers, investors, mortgage insurers and non-profit counselors. Permanent loan modifications in the second quarter of 2015 totaled approximately 113,000 and short sales totaled 24,000. Other non-foreclosure solutions (including repayment […]
Using personal bankruptcy to hit the reset button on distressed properties
August 28, 2015
There is a ripple effect on homeowners who struggle with debt even after losing their homes. Honest people who want to make good on their debts are increasingly overwhelmed and finding it impossible to rebuild their financial lives. When the Dennis Hebel and his wife decided to help out their son by buying a second […]