RSS Feed News
- Midland Funding v. Johnson: Victory for Debt Collectors and Debt Buying Industry - The National Law Review May 24, 2017Small Business TrendsMidland Funding v. Johnson: Victory for Debt Collectors and Debt Buying IndustryThe National Law ReviewThe Court found that a creditor's proof of claim that makes clear that the statute of limitations to collect the debt has run is not “false, deceptive, or misleading” because that obligation remains a “claim” for purposes of bankruptcy […]
- Marquette Admissions: State Bar Welcomes 148 New Wisconsin Lawyers - WisBar May 23, 2017WisBarMarquette Admissions: State Bar Welcomes 148 New Wisconsin LawyersWisBarAlso beginning work in bankruptcy law is Alyssa Gemein, who planned to become a lawyer at a young age, because she likes talking to people. Gemein also loves soccer, which she's played from a young age. But an unfortunate incident left her wearing a ...
- Bankruptcy law to be tabled in Parliament during upcoming monsoon season - Business Standard May 23, 2017Business StandardBankruptcy law to be tabled in Parliament during upcoming monsoon seasonBusiness StandardDraft code on resolution of financial firms also proposed to consolidate the existing laws relating to resolution of certain categories of financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies, financial market infrastructures, payment systems ...and more »
- The High Cost Of Not Paying Your Bills: Puerto Rico's Bankruptcy Bodes Poorly For Its Future - Investor's Business Daily May 22, 2017Investor's Business DailyThe High Cost Of Not Paying Your Bills: Puerto Rico's Bankruptcy Bodes Poorly For Its FutureInvestor's Business DailyBankruptcies are prone to being messy, complicated and contentious, whether it's a person, company or municipality that's declared bankruptcy. However, there are a few rules set forth in the bankruptcy law that delineate which debtors get […]
- Marco Polo shipyard makes Indonesian bankruptcy law filing ... - Marine Log May 21, 2017Marine LogMarco Polo shipyard makes Indonesian bankruptcy law filing ...Marine LogMAY 20, 2017 — Singapore listed Marco Polo Marine Ltd reports that its Batam. Indonesia, shipyard subsidiary, PT Marcopolo Shipyard (PTMS), has filed for ...and more »
- Texas Bankruptcy Law Firm Forshey Prostok Beefs Up Attorney Ranks - PR Newswire (press release) May 18, 2017PR Newswire (press release)Texas Bankruptcy Law Firm Forshey Prostok Beefs Up Attorney RanksPR Newswire (press release)FORT WORTH, Texas, May 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The complex bankruptcy and restructuring law firm Forshey Prostok is pleased to announce the promotion of three attorneys and the addition of two lawyers to its Dallas/Fort Worth offices. "This is an ...
- Supreme Court Backs Bids to Collect Outdated Debt in Bankruptcy - Bloomberg May 15, 2017BloombergSupreme Court Backs Bids to Collect Outdated Debt in BankruptcyBloomberg... effort to collect a $1,900 credit-card debt. The debtor, Aleida Johnson, sued Midland after a bankruptcy judge threw out Midland's claim. Midland argued that federal bankruptcy law lets creditors file claims in those proceedings even if the statute ...US Supreme Courts rules against consumer in […]
- Brazil plans changes to bankruptcy law to bolster recovery, paper ... - Reuters May 9, 2017Brazil plans changes to bankruptcy law to bolster recovery, paper ...ReutersThe Brazilian government plansto change the bankruptcy law to help indebted firms emergefaster from creditor protection, Finance Minister HenriqueMeirelles ...and more »
- Liabilities of Directors under the UAE Bankruptcy Law - Lexology (registration) April 28, 2017Liabilities of Directors under the UAE Bankruptcy LawLexology (registration)The new UAE Bankruptcy Law (Federal Decree Law No. 9 of 2016) came into force as a response to the 2008 global financial crisis. The new law was designed to encourage the development of a “rescue culture”, and replaces Volume 5 of Federal Law No.
- Supreme Court Leaves GM Vulnerable To Pre-Bankruptcy Ignition Suits - Forbes April 24, 2017ForbesSupreme Court Leaves GM Vulnerable To Pre-Bankruptcy Ignition SuitsForbesThe entire GM bankruptcy departed substantially from well-settled bankruptcy law, however, and some say the Supreme Court's refusal to hear this case won't do any more damage. The Second Circuit's decision doesn't award any damages to ignition ...Supreme Court turns away General Motors appeal over faulty ignition switchesPBS […]
- San Antonio City Council Could Soon File Lawsuit Over State's New Immigration Law - San Antonio Current May 24, 2017San Antonio CurrentSan Antonio City Council Could Soon File Lawsuit Over State's New Immigration LawSan Antonio CurrentThe law, slated to go into effect September 1, would force San Antonio to scrap its current policy of prohibiting cops from asking about immigration status in routine law enforcement encounters. Many fear the law is so broad that […]
- The Supreme Court's Immigration Law Showdown - The Atlantic - The Atlantic May 24, 2017The AtlanticThe Supreme Court's Immigration Law Showdown - The AtlanticThe AtlanticThe justices will face a number of challenges that have tremendous implications for life in the Trump era.and more »
- Justice Department budget plan seeks to force 'sanctuary cities' to enforce immigration laws - Chicago Tribune May 24, 2017Chicago TribuneJustice Department budget plan seeks to force 'sanctuary cities' to enforce immigration lawsChicago Tribune"Having states and local jurisdictions enforce federal immigration law terrorizes immigrant communities and makes the whole community less, not more, safe, as police chiefs around the country recognize," said Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU's ...Trump Justice budget targets illegal immigrationPolitico […]
- DOJ Budget Contains Sweeping Change to Crack Down on ... - U.S. News & World Report May 23, 2017U.S. News & World ReportDOJ Budget Contains Sweeping Change to Crack Down on ...U.S. News & World ReportThe Trump administration spending plan contains language that would dramatically increase federal authority to force local police to fully comply with ...Trump admin looks to expand definition of 'sanctuary city' in budgetWashington ExaminerTrump Budget Proposal Would Circumvent Courts to […]
- Sanctuary cities lose access to federal grants that require complying with federal immigration law – cue the histrionics - Fox News May 23, 2017Fox NewsSanctuary cities lose access to federal grants that require complying with federal immigration law – cue the histrionicsFox NewsLate on Monday, Attorney General Jeff Session issued a memorandum to all the “grant-making components” within the Justice Department cutting off any grants to sanctuary jurisdictions. In what will no doubt be a surprise to many […]
- Davis-Oliver Act Sets Out to Enforce US Immigration Laws - FrontPage Magazine May 23, 2017FrontPage MagazineDavis-Oliver Act Sets Out to Enforce US Immigration LawsFrontPage MagazineFailures of the immigration system have cost thousands of Americans and others present in the United States their lives. The 9/11 Commission, to which I provided testimony, identified those failure of the interior enforcement program, as being at heart ...
- AG Jeff Sessions demands proof 'sanctuary cities' complying with immigration law - USA TODAY May 22, 2017USA TODAYAG Jeff Sessions demands proof 'sanctuary cities' complying with immigration lawUSA TODAYWASHINGTON – The Trump administration will require cities and other local jurisdictions to prove that they are complying with federal law mandating that they share information with federal immigration authorities – or risk losing millions in grant funds.Sessions issues narrow definition of 'sanctuary […]
- Awareness of controversial Arizona immigration law influenced male ... - Phys.Org May 22, 2017Awareness of controversial Arizona immigration law influenced male ...Phys.OrgU.S.-born Latino male middle school students who had familiarity with a controversial Arizona immigration-enforcement bill had more difficulty exhibiting proper ...and more »
- Zuckerberg's Open Borders Group: Enforcing Immigration Law 'Hurts Public Safety' - Breitbart News May 22, 2017Breitbart NewsZuckerberg's Open Borders Group: Enforcing Immigration Law 'Hurts Public Safety'Breitbart NewsIn a statement following a House Judiciary Committee hearing on a number of bills that would increase enforcement of immigration laws and border security, Zuckerberg's pro-amnesty FWD.us organization said enforcement measures should be scaled back.
- Churches, synagogues openly defy Trump's immigration crackdown ... - CBS News May 21, 2017Churches, synagogues openly defy Trump's immigration crackdown ...CBS NewsMore than 800 houses of worship in the U.S. have volunteered to shelter illegal immigrants and their families who face deportation.and more »
- Metro Considers Selling HQ, Seeks to Hire Real Estate Firm - NBC4 Washington May 24, 2017NBC4 WashingtonMetro Considers Selling HQ, Seeks to Hire Real Estate FirmNBC4 WashingtonAs Metro looks for ways to generate revenue, the transit agency has talked about potentially selling its downtown headquarters at 600 Fifth St. NW. Now Metro is looking to hire a real estate firm to provide expertise. A request for proposals, or RFP ...
- Essential California: Boom time for California real estate, but is a bust coming? - Los Angeles Times May 24, 2017Los Angeles TimesEssential California: Boom time for California real estate, but is a bust coming?Los Angeles TimesIt's not so simple in real life, however. That's what a defense contracting engineer learned the hard way Monday after agreeing to plead guilty to selling sensitive satellite information to an undercover FBI agent who masqueraded as a Russian […]
- Xinyuan Real Estate - A Few Worries, But What More Can The Company Do? - Seeking Alpha May 24, 2017Xinyuan Real Estate - A Few Worries, But What More Can The Company Do?Seeking AlphaAnd this, despite foolish government policies to reduce real estate supplies at a time when housing supplies should be increased to meet the demand. And yet, XIN's stock price remains way below a reasonable valuation. Why? Is there more the company ...and […]
- Real estate CEO admits he stole $1.6M to pay for coke and strippers - New York Post May 24, 2017New York PostReal estate CEO admits he stole $1.6M to pay for coke and strippersNew York PostRockie Gajwani, the former CEO of Trevi Retail, copped to one count of wire fraud and three counts of tax evasion in Manhattan federal court. Gajwani wrote himself checks and wired himself company funds for nonbusiness expenses, including cocaine […]
- How to Make Money in Real Estate, Even If You're Not in the Real Estate Business - Entrepreneur May 23, 2017EntrepreneurHow to Make Money in Real Estate, Even If You're Not in the Real Estate BusinessEntrepreneurThat's how I got into real estate. In fact, it's how many entrepreneurs get into real estate. It starts with their own balance sheet and gradually grows into a lucrative side practice -- sometimes more financially rewarding than the initial […]
- New real estate crowdfunding site focuses on community development - Curbed May 23, 2017CurbedNew real estate crowdfunding site focuses on community developmentCurbedThat's the promise behind Small Change, a new real estate fundraising platform Picker founded that's designed to help communities play a bigger role in their own redevelopment. Often, smaller projects rely on a grab bag of funding, including community ...
- Canadian Real-Estate Sentiment Slips After Home Capital Meltdown - Bloomberg May 23, 2017BloombergCanadian Real-Estate Sentiment Slips After Home Capital MeltdownBloombergWeekly polling data show real estate price expectations have come down from record levels, in a sign that Canadians are anticipating housing markets in places like Toronto will finally cool. The share of people saying home prices will rise in the next ...and more »
- Eight Simple Ways To Become A Trusted Real Estate Professional - Forbes May 23, 2017ForbesEight Simple Ways To Become A Trusted Real Estate ProfessionalForbesThe success of any real estate business depends primarily on the trust and relationships it can build with its customers. Unfortunately, this is not always easy, as too many people generally have a negative opinion of real estate agents. It is ...Become a Real Estate Investor […]
- Jared Kushner's Other Real Estate Empire - New York Times May 23, 2017New York TimesJared Kushner's Other Real Estate EmpireNew York TimesWhen Americans were introduced last year to Ivanka Trump's husband and the nation's prospective son-in-law in chief, it was as the preternaturally poised, Harvard-educated scion of a real estate empire whose glittering ambitions resembled Donald Trump ...and more »
- Blackstone is Taking Over Mom-and-Pop Real-Estate Investing - WSJ - Wall Street Journal (subscription) May 23, 2017Wall Street Journal (subscription)Blackstone is Taking Over Mom-and-Pop Real-Estate Investing - WSJWall Street Journal (subscription)Blackstone in January launched its first nontraded real-estate investment trust, a vehicle marketed to small investors as a way to participate in the commercial ...and more »
2016 H1B Visa and Green Card Reports Released!
March 14, 2016
Myvisajobs.com, the leading employment website for immigrants, has released its eleventh Annual H1B Visa and Employment-based Green Card reports. 2016 Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsor 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Status: Certified, Denied or Withdrawn 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Job Title 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work State 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work […]
Dirty hospital scopes caused deadly infections, investigation finds
January 13, 2016
At least 250 people, mostly in the U.S. including Seattle, have contracted potentially deadly infections spread by contaminated medical scopes in the past three years, according to a new report headed by Sen. Patty Murray of Washington. The incidencts related to antibiotic-resistant infections linked to specialized duodenoscopes nearly doubled since 2010. The figures include the superbug outbreak […]
Representing Immigrant Workers in Personal Injury Claims
November 24, 2015
Charles J. Schleifer and James C. Haggerty, The Legal Intelligencer, Nov 25, 2015. According to recent statistics, there are between 6.4 and 8 million people who entered the country illegally and are a part of the U.S. labor force. The type of work performed by these workers is often very dangerous—they commonly work in the […]
Millions More to Qualify for Student – Loan Modification Program
November 6, 2015
Under rules effective Tuesday, any American who borrowed directly from the federal government for college or graduate school can enroll in a program called Pay As You Earn. The program—previously open to only newer borrowers—sets the monthly payment at 10% of a borrower’s discretionary income, defined as adjusted gross income minus 150% of the federal […]
Many homeowners owe more than their houses are worth in the Seattle area
October 6, 2015
September’s median price for single-family homes dipped from August, a welcome change for potential buyers but not for the many homeowners whose mortgage debt remains greater than their home’s value.
Modified Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Loans Perform Better When Done Through HAMP
October 1, 2015
Single-family mortgage loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac perform better after modification when they are modified through the government's Home Affordable Mortgage Program (HAMP), according to the FHFA's Foreclosure Prevention Report for Q2 2015 released this week.
GAO Calls for Better Assessment of Fraud Risks, Economic Benefits From EB-5 Program
August 28, 2015
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) recently released a report that calls for additional actions to better assess fraud risks and report economic benefits in the EB-5 program. The GAO noted that fraud risks are constantly evolving and that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) continually identifies new fraud schemes, but the agency does not […]
HOPE NOW: Mortgage Industry Achieves 24 Million Non-Foreclosure Solutions & 6 Million Proprietary Loan Mods
August 28, 2015
In the second quarter of 2015, approximately 411,000 homeowners received non-foreclosure solutions from mortgage servicers, according to HOPE NOW, the voluntary, private sector alliance of mortgage servicers, investors, mortgage insurers and non-profit counselors. Permanent loan modifications in the second quarter of 2015 totaled approximately 113,000 and short sales totaled 24,000. Other non-foreclosure solutions (including repayment […]
Using personal bankruptcy to hit the reset button on distressed properties
August 28, 2015
There is a ripple effect on homeowners who struggle with debt even after losing their homes. Honest people who want to make good on their debts are increasingly overwhelmed and finding it impossible to rebuild their financial lives. When the Dennis Hebel and his wife decided to help out their son by buying a second […]