RSS Feed News
- Family feud: Mother uses bankruptcy to keep daughter from collecting $3.3M verdict - The Courier-Journal July 26, 2017Family feud: Mother uses bankruptcy to keep daughter from collecting $3.3M verdictThe Courier-JournalJohn Pottow, who teaches bankruptcy law at the University of Michigan, said Shook has the edge because the U.S. Trustee rarely intervenes in cases. He said, "having the U.S. Trustee lead the battle is great news" for the effort to have the filing […]
- The New UAE Bankruptcy Law - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United ... - Mondaq News Alerts (registration) July 26, 2017The New UAE Bankruptcy Law - Insolvency/Bankruptcy - United ...Mondaq News Alerts (registration)The new Bankruptcy Law of the UAE was enacted on September 20, 2016 as Decree-Law No. 9 of 2016. It was published in the Federal Official Gazette on ...and more »
- In times of deepening jobs crisis, a bankruptcy law for individuals is an urgent need - Firstpost July 26, 2017FirstpostIn times of deepening jobs crisis, a bankruptcy law for individuals is an urgent needFirstpostIt is high time that such a step is taken as the current laws, which provide for individual declaration of bankruptcy, are pretty useless, as they are not only state-specific but have been rarely used because of the cumbersome process associated […]
- Serial filer gets one year for bankruptcy fraud - AdVantage News July 25, 2017AdVantage NewsSerial filer gets one year for bankruptcy fraudAdVantage News“Criminal bankruptcy fraud threatens the integrity of the bankruptcy system, as well as public confidence in that system,” stated Nancy J. Gargula, U.S. Trustee for Indiana, Central Illinois and Southern Illinois. “I am grateful to U.S. Attorney Boyce ...and more »
- Promises yet to keep - The Indian Express July 24, 2017The Indian ExpressPromises yet to keepThe Indian ExpressThe two real economic reforms have been the bankruptcy law reform and, to a lesser extent, the adoption of the GST. The bankruptcy law reform is expected to get rid of non-performing assets of banks and stimulate risk taking, entrepreneurship and, in ...and more »
- Govt proposes individual bankruptcy law: Will India follow US model? - Catch News July 24, 2017Catch NewsGovt proposes individual bankruptcy law: Will India follow US model?Catch NewsAfter a bankruptcy law for corporates, the government is now planning to come up with a similar law for individuals. This means in case of a financial crisis in life, you and I will also be able to claim bankruptcy and get rid of […]
- Unravelling the UAE's bankruptcy law - Gulf Business News July 23, 2017Gulf Business NewsUnravelling the UAE's bankruptcy lawGulf Business NewsThe Federal Bankruptcy Law (the 'New Law') was issued under the Federal Decree No 9 of 2016. It was first published in the Official Gazette on September 29, 2016 and came into force on December 29, 2016. Drafted by the Ministry of Finance, it marks a ...and more »
- Big Bank Bankruptcy Bill Back on Table; Will It Prevent Meltdown? - Bloomberg BNA July 20, 2017Big Bank Bankruptcy Bill Back on Table; Will It Prevent Meltdown?Bloomberg BNABut it doesn't include the repeal of the liquidation authority under Title II of the Dodd-Frank law. The Financial Institution Bankruptcy Act would be in addition to the FDIC authority. Many bankruptcy scholars and industry experts said the bankruptcy ...
- United Arab Emirates: Practical Aspects Of The New Bankruptcy Law - Mondaq News Alerts (registration) July 19, 2017United Arab Emirates: Practical Aspects Of The New Bankruptcy LawMondaq News Alerts (registration)Up until the coming into force of the New Bankruptcy Law, insolvency proceedings in the UAE were dealt with by the Fifth Book of Federal Law No. 18 of 1993 ("Commercial Transactions Law"). The New Bankruptcy Law now repeals these provisions, as well ...
- First test of India's new bankruptcy law offers cautionary tale - Reuters July 11, 2017First test of India's new bankruptcy law offers cautionary taleReutersMUMBAI (Reuters) - In January, Innoventive Industries, a speciality steelmaker based in western India, was forced into the bankruptcy court by its lenders, testing for the first time new insolvency rules that aim to resolve India's $150 billion bad ...and more »
- Republicans want arrests for illegal immigration - Eagle-Tribune July 27, 2017Eagle-TribuneRepublicans want arrests for illegal immigrationEagle-TribuneBOSTON — Republican lawmakers hope to require local law enforcement officers to detain people suspected of violating federal immigration laws, drawing backlash from immigrant rights groups who say it will amount to racial profiling. A bill filed by Rep.Hodgson, O'Connell make case for immigration billFall River Herald NewsState reps. defend […]
- Tragic human smuggling deaths shows the need for humane immigration laws - Arizona Daily Sun July 26, 2017MicTragic human smuggling deaths shows the need for humane immigration lawsArizona Daily SunDan Patrick and other immigration saber-rattlers so troubling. Building walls, mass arrests, deportations — they are sound bites that play to the get-tough crowd but do little to actually solve the problem. Yes, border security is important. But the ...Human smuggling is a […]
- Immigrants arrested near Capitol during DACA protest - Texas Tribune July 26, 2017USA TODAYImmigrants arrested near Capitol during DACA protestTexas TribuneHernandez has responded by saying she communicates with Immigration and Customs Enforcement as federal law requires, and holds immigrants who are charged with serious crimes for potential deportation. The protest was organized by Movimiento ...Texas Attorney Gen: Let's phase out DACA and return to the rule of lawUSA […]
- The Senate Should Pass 'Kate's Law' and the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act - National Review July 26, 2017National ReviewThe Senate Should Pass 'Kate's Law' and the No Sanctuary for Criminals ActNational ReviewOn June 29, the House passed two amendments to the Immigration and Nationality Act: Kate's Law and the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act. The Senate, which is expected to take up this legislation soon, should approve it. Kate's Law is named […]
- Editorial: Tragic immigrant deaths show Congress must act - San Francisco Chronicle July 25, 2017San Francisco ChronicleEditorial: Tragic immigrant deaths show Congress must actSan Francisco ChronicleHuman trafficking is a scourge that should be tackled with the full force of the law. But immigration law itself also deserves immediate attention. This editorial is the view of the Editorial Board of the San Antonio Express-News, a Hearst Corporation ...Death toll in […]
- Law school group moves Texas meeting because of bathroom bill, immigration law - ABA Journal July 25, 2017Law school group moves Texas meeting because of bathroom bill, immigration lawABA JournalThe Association of American Law Schools is moving a 2018 clinical legal education meeting from Austin, Texas, to Chicago because of legislative action on immigration enforcement and school bathrooms. The AALS explained the decision in a letter to Texas ...
- SPECIAL REPORT: York farmers navigate immigration law - York Dispatch July 25, 2017York DispatchSPECIAL REPORT: York farmers navigate immigration lawYork DispatchDavid Brown, president of Brown's Orchards & Farm Market, takes the extra time to verify his Mexican farm workers' immigration documents, but he doesn't mind. It is worth it to have a steady workforce in his fields, he said. Farmers need help when ...
- Challenge in New Haven may decide immigration law for whole country - Journal Inquirer July 25, 2017Challenge in New Haven may decide immigration law for whole countryJournal InquirerFederal immigration authorities, Governor Malloy says, are "stupid" for ordering the deportation of the Guatemalan woman who has been living in Norwalk with her children for many years and now has holed up at a church in New Haven, defying the order.
- Pick the Right Law School for Immigration Law Career | Law ... - U.S. News & World Report (blog) July 24, 2017U.S. News & World Report (blog)Pick the Right Law School for Immigration Law Career | Law ...U.S. News & World Report (blog)Prospective law students should look for clinical opportunities to gain hands-on immigration experience.and more »
- Oregon legislators push to allow police to enforce immigration laws - Statesman Journal July 21, 2017Statesman JournalOregon legislators push to allow police to enforce immigration lawsStatesman JournalThree Oregon legislators are spearheading an initiative petition that would repeal the Oregon law prohibiting local and state police from enforcing federal immigration laws. Rep. Mike Nearman, R-Independence, Rep. Sal Esquivel, R-Medford, and Rep.
- La Quinta splitting, spinning off real estate business - Dallas Business Journal July 27, 2017Dallas Business JournalLa Quinta splitting, spinning off real estate businessDallas Business JournalHotel chain La Quinta Holdings has confirmed it will divide into two stand-alone public companies, separating its real estate business from its franchise and management arm. Irving-based La Quinta (NYSE: LQ) first discussed the possibility in January ...and more »
- US Census Troubles Threaten Future Real Estate Development - Bisnow July 26, 2017BisnowUS Census Troubles Threaten Future Real Estate DevelopmentBisnowBudget uncertainty has always been a fact of life with the census, but watchdogs believe if additional funding is not allocated, it could have a disastrous impact on the count in three years, which will trickle down to negatively impact a myriad of ...and more »
- News 4 confronts alleged real estate scam artist - WSMV Nashville July 26, 2017WSMV NashvilleNews 4 confronts alleged real estate scam artistWSMV NashvilleThis scam is tricky because the legitimate real estate company told us they will ask for people's credit card information in exchange for a key code. So the best advice police have to offer is: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. […]
- If I Could Buy Just 1 Real Estate Stock - Seeking Alpha July 26, 2017Seeking AlphaIf I Could Buy Just 1 Real Estate StockSeeking AlphaPeople own real estate to get income, inflation protection and capital appreciation. In today's e-commerce boom, owning Grade A or prime properties has taken on additional importance. What if I told you that I had one such real estate company, which ...and more »
- Ann 'Bunny' Bishop, sold real estate - Baltimore Sun July 26, 2017Baltimore SunAnn 'Bunny' Bishop, sold real estateBaltimore SunAnn Miles “Bunny” Bishop, who had worked in residential real estate sales, died of a cerebral hemorrhage following a stroke July 24 at the University of Maryland Medical Center. The Cedarcroft resident was 89. Born in Baltimore and raised on Keswick ...
- Bay Area real estate: Home prices leap to yet another record high - The Mercury News July 26, 2017The Mercury NewsBay Area real estate: Home prices leap to yet another record highThe Mercury NewsThe real estate business usually cools off in the summer, but this market is proving to be a pressure cooker. The median price of a single-family home in the region was $779,000, up 9.7 percent from a year earlier, the […]
- How Real Estate Investing Is Spurring Millennial Home Ownership - Forbes July 26, 2017ForbesHow Real Estate Investing Is Spurring Millennial Home OwnershipForbesMillennials are the largest group of home buyers for the fourth consecutive year, according to the National Association of Realtors 2017 Home Buyers and Sellers Generational Trends Report. Nearly 40% of home buyers were under 36 years old. So what's ...
- What real estate agents can learn from two tech disruptors - Inman.com July 26, 2017Inman.comWhat real estate agents can learn from two tech disruptorsInman.comYou may not code, and you may not have time to A/B test every email you send to your sphere, but you can learn from some of the real estate tech gurus who have built their companies combining startup backgrounds with the sometimes slow-to-change real ...
- 8 things homesellers risk when they sell without a real estate agent - Inman.com July 26, 2017Inman.com8 things homesellers risk when they sell without a real estate agentInman.comSelling a home without a real estate agent is like handling your own legal matter. You may only know enough to be dangerous, and worse yet, you don't know what you don't know. In that situation, one risks costing themselves time, money, and most ...and […]
- Recent Commercial Real Estate Transactions - New York Times July 25, 2017Recent Commercial Real Estate TransactionsNew York TimesA real estate investment and management firm has bought this six-story 1910 West Village walk-up. Under the same ownership for over 60 years, the building offers 37 apartments — 20 one-bedrooms, 13 two-bedrooms and four three-bedrooms. Of those 19 ...
2016 H1B Visa and Green Card Reports Released!
March 14, 2016
Myvisajobs.com, the leading employment website for immigrants, has released its eleventh Annual H1B Visa and Employment-based Green Card reports. 2016 Top 100 H1B Visa Sponsor 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Status: Certified, Denied or Withdrawn 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Job Title 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work State 2016 Top H1B Visa Sponsors by Work […]
Dirty hospital scopes caused deadly infections, investigation finds
January 13, 2016
At least 250 people, mostly in the U.S. including Seattle, have contracted potentially deadly infections spread by contaminated medical scopes in the past three years, according to a new report headed by Sen. Patty Murray of Washington. The incidencts related to antibiotic-resistant infections linked to specialized duodenoscopes nearly doubled since 2010. The figures include the superbug outbreak […]
Representing Immigrant Workers in Personal Injury Claims
November 24, 2015
Charles J. Schleifer and James C. Haggerty, The Legal Intelligencer, Nov 25, 2015. According to recent statistics, there are between 6.4 and 8 million people who entered the country illegally and are a part of the U.S. labor force. The type of work performed by these workers is often very dangerous—they commonly work in the […]
Millions More to Qualify for Student – Loan Modification Program
November 6, 2015
Under rules effective Tuesday, any American who borrowed directly from the federal government for college or graduate school can enroll in a program called Pay As You Earn. The program—previously open to only newer borrowers—sets the monthly payment at 10% of a borrower’s discretionary income, defined as adjusted gross income minus 150% of the federal […]
Many homeowners owe more than their houses are worth in the Seattle area
October 6, 2015
September’s median price for single-family homes dipped from August, a welcome change for potential buyers but not for the many homeowners whose mortgage debt remains greater than their home’s value.
Modified Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Loans Perform Better When Done Through HAMP
October 1, 2015
Single-family mortgage loans backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac perform better after modification when they are modified through the government's Home Affordable Mortgage Program (HAMP), according to the FHFA's Foreclosure Prevention Report for Q2 2015 released this week.
GAO Calls for Better Assessment of Fraud Risks, Economic Benefits From EB-5 Program
August 28, 2015
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) recently released a report that calls for additional actions to better assess fraud risks and report economic benefits in the EB-5 program. The GAO noted that fraud risks are constantly evolving and that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) continually identifies new fraud schemes, but the agency does not […]
HOPE NOW: Mortgage Industry Achieves 24 Million Non-Foreclosure Solutions & 6 Million Proprietary Loan Mods
August 28, 2015
In the second quarter of 2015, approximately 411,000 homeowners received non-foreclosure solutions from mortgage servicers, according to HOPE NOW, the voluntary, private sector alliance of mortgage servicers, investors, mortgage insurers and non-profit counselors. Permanent loan modifications in the second quarter of 2015 totaled approximately 113,000 and short sales totaled 24,000. Other non-foreclosure solutions (including repayment […]
Using personal bankruptcy to hit the reset button on distressed properties
August 28, 2015
There is a ripple effect on homeowners who struggle with debt even after losing their homes. Honest people who want to make good on their debts are increasingly overwhelmed and finding it impossible to rebuild their financial lives. When the Dennis Hebel and his wife decided to help out their son by buying a second […]